Monday, March 16, 2009

The Ides of March and then some.

Did 'ya miss me?  There really was not much going on Saturday.  Curtis and AnnMarie had spent the previous night with  Nana &  Papa and Larry had hit the road, so when I woke up in the morning, It was just Gregory and I.  It was kinda lonely and weird.  Gregory slept late 'cause his sleep cycles are totally off and I wander a little aimlessly through the house.  The kids got home around noon and we just hung out the rest of the day.  Saturday night I "snuck" out of the house with a great friend, for a brewski.  Forgetting that it was St Patrick's day weekend, when the plans were made, we chose an out of the way location that proved to be entertaining.  Lesbians and cowboys, anyone?  It was montley and comforting.  With a side of Karaoke.  Which we shamelessly sang along with and converesed about goofy and intelligent items, at the same time.  Which is why I love her so much.  She allows me to be a goof ball and be intelligent all at the same time.  She also doesn't bat an eye, when the conversation gets sprinkled with really random thoughts about Gregory and his cancer.  After awhile we headed out to grab some grub.  It's been so long since I've had late night grub.  The Satellite is usually the place of choice.  We weren't about to head downtown, though.  We finally made it to a Shari's and it was so good!  First "real" meal I've had in nearly three weeks.  It also managed to not hit my belly like a ton of bricks.  All in all, it was such a great night.  Love you, girl!!

Today was our platelets day.  We were scheduled to get there at 10:00.  At 8:00 we received a phone call, requesting that we come down at 9:00.  Doc had been called to the ER and since he was already there, it was easier for us to come earlier.  Gregory was still sawing logs, so I hurried and got ready, then scooped him up to leave.  The clinic is actually attached to the inpatient Ped Onc unit at Sacred Heart Children's Hospital.  So on the weekends, you just go to Peds Onc and they take care of everything.  The last time we had been admitted, one of the blood cultures showed positive for something.  So, in addition to today's regular blood count, they re-did the cultures.  Just to be sure it was a false positive.  The hardest part of all this is the exorbatant amount of waiting.  We were there for six hours, today.  We neede to wait for the blood counts, in order for doc to determine how much platelets he needed.  We waited for the platelets to arrive.  We waited for the platelets to be transfused.  We waited for them to "get in place".  Then another blood count.  Thankfully we did not have to wait for results on the second draw.  I was able to receive them via a phone call.  His platelets this morning were 31.  They took only a two point drop between Thursday and today.  His hematicrit went up, though.  After platelets were transfused, they were at 136 and his hematicrit went down to 24.  Weird, huh?  He has his prescription for antibiotics and we are ready to see the dentist on Tuesday.  All the waiting did present results, though.  I was able to finish Gregory's sweater!!!!!  It is beautiful.  He even got to wear it home.  On the way out, a nurse commented that he needed to show it off.  So Gregory then proceeded to knock on patients doors (they all are glass), point to his sweater and said, "See!!  New sweater!"  He was more that a little pleased. 

We did get word today on the HLA typing for a transplant match on the siblings.  (See how I burried it in the body.)  The siblings are NOT a match.  Significantly.  I am rather releived to have this news.  The thought of putting them through all that , just wasn't sitting well with me.  It's fairly common to not have a sibling match.  Now we have to focus on obtaining an un-related donor.  The call goes world wide.  Who know's?  Maybe some long lost branch of our combined family tree is unwittingly going to receive a phone call, saying he/she is needed.  How awesome would it be to get THAT phone call.  Knowing that what you signed up for so many years/months ago, is going to help save someone's life, halfway around the world?  Also the life of their family and those around them.  When we are through this, I would like to sign up for the registry.  We need to get through THIS first. 

I also found out that his chemo will be outpatient and be oral pills.  High dose vitamin A (think accutane, crazy, huh!) and something else.  I'm obsessed with timelines, so I keep asking and keep receiving really vague responses.  Which is OK.  I've taken a crash course in the unexpected.  Gregory's blood type is B Positive.  So 'ya all, be positive!

We had a surprise delivery of a home cooked meal, tonight.  Pot roast, mashed taters, gravy, FRESH green beans, fresh fruit.  Quite timely, too, due to the six hour visit with the hospital.  It was so flippin' yummy.  Lori?  You cook a mean meal.  Thank you!!! 

We needed a few things from the grocery store so AnnMarie and I ran out together.  We haven't done that in a while.  It was so nice to be just us.  She has been a little magnet.  She's never far from my side and can't seem to get close enough.  She is really in need of mommy reassurance and I haven't always had it in me to give it to her.  Today we wandered about the store, selected our items and had goofy/serious conversation.  Serious topics always seem to come up in our casual conversation.  Which is the way I like it.  The power went out partway through, but we continued to do our shopping.  Thankfully, Albertson's has back up power and could operate.  Aparrantly, Safeway and Roseauer's were turning people away.  We got home and not more than 30 minutes later, the power, thankfully, came back on.  One thing that is helping AnnMarie, is that, now that I'm done with Gregory's sweater, I've started on hers.  I am in love with her yarn.  The colors are stunning.  Can't wait to see what it will look like.  It's already so beautiful. 

Wow!  A little wordy?  This is what I get for going more than 24 hours w/o posting.  Hope I didn't lose too many of you.  Gotta jet.

No comments: