Thursday, April 2, 2009

Things I see in my sleep: WBC, RBC, HCT, PLT

Whew!  Gregory finally fell asleep.  Yes, it's after midnight.  We had blood counts today and spending four hours at clinic really tuckers him out.  Therefore, he crashed about 4:00 and slept for several hours.  Which further complicated night time sleep!  Thankfully, we have nothing on the agenda for tomorrow morning and I'm hoping that we can all sleep until 8:00.  At least. 

Today's numbers:  White Blood Cells:  19 ~ Hematocrit:  31 ~ Platelets: 28   So............ Platelets on Friday.  Which means no Friday Morning Therapy.  Julia, want to come over tomorrow?  Which is Ok, 'cause it's spring break and Friday Morning Therapy with OffSpring is challenging.  To say the least.  Just a quick note about his numbers, Gregory is not producing healthy cells.  Therefore these numbers are based on what is left over after the last transfusion.  He had a platelet transfusion on Tuesday the 24th.  Post transfusion:  168.  Friday morning platelets:  83.  He's losing them pretty fast.  It looks like we will be transfusing at least once a week.  Crazy.  I need to call and see if our insurance has a cap for transfusions.  I really did not think I would need to consider this.  Thank the gods that folks have offered to donate in Gregory's name.  I'll keep everyone posted, in case we need to make a plea for donated blood.  Here's the deal, you can go to your local blood bank, regardless of your blood type, you can donate for Gregory and we will receive a credit in his name.  Pretty cool, huh?

AnnMarie went with us to clinic, today.  It was really cool.  She got to see the whole thing.  I'm hoping that it helps to remove some of the mystery.  Since it is spring break, there were quite a few siblings, too.  She got to meet alot of kids.  It was pretty awesome.

Bone Marrow Match update:  Ugh!  Talk about details!  Last week they requested more blood.  Last week they re-sent the consents to the correct address.  I just received the consents, TODAY!   It was on my list to call the Search Coordinator, today.  She called me, not long after we got home from clinic.  She was surprised to hear that I had just received the consents.  Here's the kicker.  They need a consent to search, before they begin the search.  So all this time (granted it's only been 3ish weeks, but it's been 3ISH WEEKS!) I thought the search was on and it wasn't.  I asked if I could fax the consents, she said yes.  At this point she then asked if she could take a verbal consent.  My response?  Hell yes, you can take a verbal.  Let's get busy!  After I got off the phone with her I called Jennifer, his nurse coordinator at his oncologist office, to share the news.  Jennifer is so awesome.  Regardless of the nature of my calls, she ALWAYS call me back.  Quite promptly, too.  Most of the time my phone calls are simply informational.  No need for a return call.  Yet, she touches base with me.  It's rather comforting.  She is kind of a tough nut to crack and we are developing a great rapport.  Which usually comes second nature for me.  This one has been a bit challenging for me.  I was a little nervous, in the beginning.  Afterall, this is the person that is going to be my bridge, touching stone and source of information during this whole process.  If I had not been able to find a groove with her......... I was worried.  Silly?  Stupid?  Maybe.  Except I don't have to worry about it anymore.  To be honest, I see alot of myself in her.  She is incredibly professional, very good at what she does and has enough spunk and funk to be fun, yet professional.  Can you tell I really like her?  Also, she does not speak to Gregory like he is a baby or is sick.  'Cause he's not.  He just has cancer.   

Getting my head around this word: cancer.  I have always seen cancer as an object.  A mass that needed to be removed and anhililated.  Something that was defined by stages.  Learning about the world of Leukemia has been weird.  Leukemia is not a mass.  It cannot be removed, anhililated or defined by stages.  It's this abstract thing that is gauged by cell production.  It's not just cells for a certain area.  It's cell production for you whole fucking BLOOD.  Blood.  Wild.  Crazy.  Blood.  Something so basic, yet so flippin' important to life.  I'm still learning, as I go. 

I'm also meeting more families.  When you sit in the playroom for three hours, waiting for counts, it leaves lots of time for getting to know fellow families.  The variety of situations/types of cancer/families is amazing.  There have been several times that I have thanked my "lucky" stars that this did not happen 10 years ago.  I'm very grateful to be "older".  I do not think I would have been able to manage this, in the manner that I am now, when I was in my twenties. 

Thank you's:

Cat:  We received our boxes today!!!!!!!!  The OffSpring were absolutely JACKED!!!  Everything was a hit.  Those little toothbrush things are awesome!  The book is a great reminder, too.  Thank you for inscribing it, too.  I love that.  I'm so glad you are part of my life, girl!  Oh yeah, Flarp was/is a huge hit.  Thank gawd I find humor in fart noises, too.

Nana & Papa:  I can't imagine what you two are going through.  I can't imagine feeling helpless and somewhat removed.  I am so grateful for your help, understanding and presence.  For letting me be a space cadet and occasionaly loosing it.  It's not intentional.  It's safe.  Thank you!  I love you!

? the Dyson:  I'm still in the newlywed stage.  I still use it at least once a day.  It's a dream. 


Wow.  Feeling a little wordy.  I have more to say, but I'll "save it for later"*.  Gotta jet.



*First person to get this reference will receive my undying admiration.  Googling it doesn't count.  Don't cheat.

No comments: