Thursday, July 23, 2009

Wash, Rinse, Repeat

Tuesday's Counts, July 21:  Platelets ~ 93, Hematocrit ~ 29,  ANC ~ 1265, Weight ~ 12.9

Honestly?  It's more of the same, around here.  We did a trial run, the other night, of Bennedryl every three hours and Hydroxizine, each one alternating every three hours.  The orders were written as "All the time", meaning if I wasn't here, ,they would have given him these doses all day long.  It was only intended for night time.  The only way to write this is round the clock or PRN (as needed).  Which means you have to have stellar communication between provider, nursing staff and caretaker.  There was a break down in communication.  He received so much, including a last dose at 8:00 in the morning, that he was groggy and out of it for most of the day.  Greogry does not need these drugs during the day.  He does awesome during the day.  Nightime is the bitch.  Wednesday and today we were up at 3:30.  Yesterday he stayed up, this moring we drugged him back to sleep.  He's been waking up around 3:00 in the morning in absolute misery.  Itching, pain and bladder spasms.  This morning he was struggling for over an hour before we could get it under control.  The Pyridium and Oxybutinin (numbs the urinary tract, eases bladder spasms, respectively) was only written for daytime.  So for the last thirteen nights, he was not receiving them.  I was really hoping that last night would have been different, since he was not receiving them at night.  I know he received them, 'cause I gave them to him.  It didn't make any difference.  I also don't know if they need to build up in his system.  I'm hopeful.  Tonight we are going to try the every three hour thing, again.  With a last dose no later than 6:00am.  I'm hoping that he will be comfortable at night and not in an anithistimine hangover haze.  The only way to know is to try it out.  I keep hoping we will come up with a magic formula of meds.  Hasn't happened, yet.  Maybe tonight?  *crosses fingers*

In the grand scheme of things, if Gregory was going to have a complication at this stage, this is an OK complication to have.  It just really sucks.  During the day he is so awesome.  (can I repeat myself?)  Nightimes are so rough. 

The OffSpring will be here on Sunday.  We are hoping to get Gregory out on pass, while they are here, and have a meal/hang time all together, under one roof.  Being goofy and just chillin' together.  Mom and I also talked about doing a trial run with her staying one night at the hospital with Gregory.  While I hunker down with Curtis and AnnMarie for an evening of cuddles and merry making. 

I've not been so great about getting my thank you's out.......

Ryan & Amy ~ I don't know how you did it.  Thank you.  Gregory is going to have the greatest sweater collection!!

A Grand Yarn, Mary in particular ~ Huge Thank You's.  I'm actually speechless.  Beautiful colors.  My favorite yarn, too.  I call it my comfort yarn.

Erica ~  Yes, yes, yes.  Please use whatever you want.  The photoshoot pictures are availbe to be used at your discretion.  Or anything else that strikes your fancy.  Quote?  Don't have one, yet.  Workin' on it, though.  What's your deaddline?

Niki D~ Welcome home.

Tammy B ~ Thank you so much for stopping by.  It was great to see a face from home.

Cheri ~ Your choice of flicks was spot on.  Much comfort watching to be had.  Also?  Gregory is now a Jim Carey fanatic.  He calls him "The Funny Guy".  Cute, huh?

Huge thank you's to every single family that I have met, receiving treatment side-by-side us in Seattle.  Each and every one of you are amazing.  While I'd be more than happy to say that I'd never met you (know what I mean?), I'm awfully grateful for your presence.  

Alright.  Time for meds and labs.  'til later, gotta jet! 

No comments: